Access to the New York Times!
Compliments of Durham Public Library
- From a library computer, visit nytimes.com and create or log-in to your NYTimes.com account
Outside the library:
- Click here to redeem the promotional code, you must create or log-in with a NYTimes.com account
- Promotional code is active for 72 hours. After 72 hours, you can redeem a new code by clicking here. There are no limits on how many codes you can use
- Promo code access includes NYT apps, "Today's Paper", and 5 Premium Archive (1923-1980) articles per day
- Unlimited access to NYTimes.com content
- International Edition and Chinese Edition
- Historic Coverage 1851-1922 and 1981 to Current (1923-1980 only with off-site coupon, 5 articles per day)
- Newsletters, Alerts & Times Wire
- Sharing & Commenting
- Times Topics
- Search and Cross Searching
- Real-Time Market Data & Company Research Pages
- Mini Crossword puzzles (Full crossword puzzle not included)
Off-site only features:
- NYTimes Apps
- Today's Paper: Digital edition of today's print edition
- 5 Premium Archive (1923-1980) articles per day
Research and Learn at DPL
EBSCOhost is a multidisciplinary database that provides full text for thousands of general reference publications with full text information dating as far back as 1975. Ebsco covers virtually every subject area of general interest and the databases are updated daily.
Try out Explora by EBSCO for general research queries, magazines articles and journals! Or, check out the categories below for direct links to some of our most popular EBSCO research databases. Your library card number is required for remote or device access.
- EBSCOhost: Consumer Health Complete - This database provides access to full-text consumer health magazines and reference books. It also includes searchable full text for current health pamphlets
- EBSCOhost: Salud en Espanol (CHC Spanish Version) - This database provides access to full-text consumer health magazines and reference books in Spanish. It also includes searchable full text for current health pamphlets
- EBSCO's BusinessSource Premier - BusinessSource Premier offers information from business publications as well as tens of thousands of company profiles.
- EBSCOhost: Academic Search Premier - Academic Search Premier is a leading multidisciplinary research database that provides full-text access to peer-reviewed journals, magazines and other valuable resources.
- EBSCOhost: Masterfile Premier - Masterfile Premier provides full-text magazines, reference books and primary source documents. It also includes an extensive image collection containing photos, maps and flags.
- EBSCOhost Regional Business News - Regional Business News provides full-text regional business publications for the United States and Canadian provinces. Users can search newspapers, magazines and other resources from trusted news sources.
- Explora Educator's Edition: Teacher Resources from EBSCO.
Universal Class! New to DPL!
Looking for business, education, computer, crafting, accounting or even dog training courses? Check out Universal Class and learn something new today! Universal Class offers hundreds of online CE classes and they are all available now FREE from DPL with your library card!
These courses are not just tutorials; they are accredited courses and include lessons, exams, assignments, discussion boards and actual assessments of your progress. Earn a certificate documenting your CEUs, contact hours, and course completion. All courses are self-paced. This means you can learn when you want on your own time. You do not need to be online at a specific date or time.500 courses available and each patron can take up to 5 courses at once. Click on the Universal Class icon now to browse courses and get started!
Mango Languages! Sign Up today!
DPL now offers Mango! The personalized, adaptive language-learning experience that provides the tools and guidance you need to expand your language skills wherever and however you learn best.
Discover 70 World Languages created with culturally and linguistically-specific curriculum as well as ESL courses in more than 20 different languages.
Favorite Mango Features include:
- Real-world conversations that won’t leave you lost in translation
- Voice Comparison for matching your pronunciation with native-speaker audio
- Listening & Reading Activities for reinforcing learned material and building new skills
- Personalized Review System that adapts to your individual learning pathway
- Culture Notes for unique insights into different cultures
- Mango Movies for learning through engaging, authentic content
Download the Mango app from the App Store or Google Play or open from here on your web browser
Free Online Databases and Learning!
- Autobytel - Founded by a retired car salesmen, Autotropolis is dedicated to educating you, the consumer, on the automobile(s) you are looking to buy. In addition to connecting you with the dealerships who strive to be the most competitive and customer service oriented in the industry.
- Consumer Price Index - Consumer Price Index cost of living information, nationally and regionally and by category.
- Edmunds - New and used car prices, car reviews, safety information
- GCF LearnFree - For more than a decade, the GCFLearnFree.org program has helped millions around the world learn the essential skills they need to live and work in the 21st century. From Microsoft Office and email to reading, math, and more, GCFLearnFree.org offers more than 180 topics, including more than 2,000 lessons, 800+ videos, and 55+ interactives and games, completely free.
- Library of Congress - The Library of Congress is the largest library in the world, with millions of books, recordings, photographs, newspapers, maps and manuscripts in its collections. The Library is the main research arm of the U.S. Congress and the home of the U.S. Copyright Office.
- Project Gutenberg - A library of over 60,000 free eBooks. Choose among free epub and Kindle eBooks, download them or read them online. You will find the world's great literature here, with focus on older works for which U.S. copyright has expired. Thousands of volunteers digitized and diligently proofread the eBooks, for enjoyment and education.