Friends of the Durham Public Library
Donate here to support the
Friends of the Durham Public Library!
The mission of the Friends of the Durham Public Library is to promote, support, and enrich the services and programs of the library – working in collaboration with the Library Board of Trustees and Director.
Supporting Our Library
During the pandemic many of our activities are suspended, however we are busy behind the scenes and offering programs as we can.
- We provide museum passes for over a dozen museums. As museums continue to reopen, their passes will be available -- see the full list and reservation instructions under the Events & Programs tab on the library website
- The Friends-funded Durham Public Library Book Discussion Group has been meeting on Zoom. The next selection will be Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell to be discussed on April 22, 2021 at 10:30AM.
- The Friends sponsor the Patch Program, a reading incentive which has given patches and library bags to over 400 children ages two through eighth grade.
- We are planning a Zoom meeting so that members can catch up socially and talk about next steps for the Friends.
- Last January, the Friends adopted new bylaws changing our organizational structure. We now rely on more active participation of our members serving on standing committees to shape what we do. If interested in serving, please contact us at email@example.com.
When the pandemic ends, we look forward to resuming our full array of activities and hopefully adding new ones as well.
- The Friends run a bookstore in the library, selling gently used, donated books. We also have a small satellite site at Breaking New Grounds coffee shop on Main Street downtown. Volunteers sort donated books and stock the store and satellite location. Let us know if you’d like to help!
- Members of the Friends bake goodies which are sold at the Circulation Desk; proceeds support children's programs.
- The Friends support musical events such as the Summer Family Concert series.
- The Friends underwrite requests for computers, furniture, equipment, additions to the collection, programs, and seasonally themed decorative items that beautify the library space.
Interested in joining? New Friends are always welcome! If you would like to work with a great group of people, and help support your public library, join us! To download a membership form, click HERE. If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please join the Friends of the Library for their virtual ZOOM meeting on April 14th at 1:00PM.
Topics will include a Friends update, Library services update, and a special "Book Crafting" presentation by Adult Services Director, Jessica Ross, who will demonstrate and share how to upcycle old books into new craft items!
Hope to see you there!