Friends of the Durham Public Library
Supporting the Durham Public Library for 25 years – 1997 to 2022
Donate here to support the Friends of the Durham Public Library!
The mission of the Friends of the Durham Public Library is to promote, support, and enrich the services and programs of the Library – working in collaboration with the Library Board of Trustees and Director.
Supporting Our Library
- We provide museum passes for over a dozen museums. See the full list and reservation instructions under the Events & Programs tab on the library website.
- The Friends-funded Durham Library Book Discussion Group meets six times annually.
- The Friends sponsor the Patch Program, a reading incentive which has given patches and library tote bags to over 400 children ages two through eighth grade.
- The Friends Bookstore sells gently used, donated books. The Bookstore is open for browsing and purchasing during all hours the library is open. It is located just inside the entrance to the library Café on the mezzanine level. Check out the bargains in fiction, non-fiction, and children’s literature.
- The Friends organize bakers to provide goodies for the Friends Cookie Basket at the circulation desk. Proceeds support children’s programs.
- The Friends support the Summer Family Concert Series.
- The Friends underwrite requests for computers, furniture, equipment, additions to the collection, library programs and seasonally themed decorative items that beautify the library space.
Meet with Us!
The Friends meet at 1:30 on the third Wednesday of each month. Dates this spring are February 16, March 16, April 20, May 18, and June 15. We currently meet via Zoom. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the link to the meeting. Everyone is welcome to attend.
Interested in joining? New Friends are always welcome! If you would like to work with a great group of people, and help support your public library, join us! To download a membership form, click HERE.
Cookie Bakers Wanted!
The Friends of the Durham Public Library sponsor the on-going cookie sale at the Library’s circulation desk. We are always looking for new bakers to sign-up to keep the cookie basket full. This involves a simple one-week commitment to provide goodies to sell at the Library.
And remember that all proceeds from our cookie basket sales go directly to benefit children’s programs!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR FRIENDS' COOKIE BAKERS
Make a batch of baked goods. Be creative with your offerings – cookies, bars, slices of tea bread, the infamous rice crispy treats – whatever you think would be appealing. Place two or three, or even four, depending on size, in a small baggie. Remember that a $1.00 donation is the asking price per package.
On Monday morning, preferably between 10:00am and 10:15am, bring about 15 baggies of treats to the Library. In case people want to check for potential food allergies, please place one large index card in the cookie basket with the list of ingredients used. If you can bake but cannot deliver your treats to the Library on Monday morning, please make contact Beth Newkirk (email@example.com ) to make arrangements to deliver them to her on Sunday.
The cycle needs to be repeated for Thursday morning as cookie sales are often quite brisk at the beginning of the Library week and again during the latter part of the week. Our cookie basket has been very popular. Patrons have asked staff when it will return!
You will receive a reminder call or email from Beth Newkirk the weekend before your scheduled baking week.
The Friends thank you, the children who benefit from the funds we raise, and cookie-loving library patrons thank you!
If you would be willing to bake for the sale, please follow the link below to a master calendar, typing your name and email address on the Monday of the week that you would like to cover. You may also phone Beth Newkirk at 603-868-6243 to sign up with her.
Durham Public Library Book Discussion